Executive Director Job Description
The Public Theatre is an artistically respected, 315-seat Equity (SPT-Category 9) theatre vital to the cultural life of Lewiston, Maine. At a pivotal moment in its 30+ year history, the Theatre is navigating an industry rebounding from COVID. Audience development and donor development will be key to long-term success and financial stability. The Executive Director will assess the Theatre’s existing operations, programs, and systems with a fresh perspective and provide recommendations and insight on improvements. They will also develop a strategy to support an artistic vision that has established The Public Theatre as a leader in producing high-quality professional theatre that entertains, inspires, and celebrates our shared humanity.
We welcome applications from skilled professionals who are excited to play a key role in continuing the growth of The Public Theatre, which operates on a budget approaching $1 million. The Executive Director will identify and secure resources through well-developed fundraising strategies, innovate business practices, strengthen operations, and maximize potential for earned income.
The Executive Director of The Public Theatre will:
- Work with the Board and Artistic Director to set strategic priorities and clearly deﬁned goals.
- Provide leadership for and execution of all fundraising efforts.
- Serve as a conﬁdent and knowledgeable public speaker for The Public Theatre at community events.
- Develop increased donor support through cultivation and stewardship of sustaining and new donors, including legacy gifts.
- Identify and secure new earned and contributed revenue sources.
- Look for, establish, develop and maintain relationships with business, political, and other community leaders to create relevant partnerships.
- Maximize earned revenue potential through innovative community connection initiatives.
- Evaluate all systems and implement improvements for increased efficiency.
- Work with the Artistic Director on strategies to expand The Public Theatre’s subscriber and single ticket patron base.
- Serve as an inspiring leader, oﬀering support and clear direction and goals to the Board and staff.
- Conduct annual performance evaluations of administrative staff.
- Lead budget creation process on an annual basis in collaboration with the Artistic Director.
- Meet financial goals through earned and contributed income and expense management.
- Maintain high standards of financial management and reporting and participate in the annual audit process.
- Find new, innovative ways to broadcast The Public Theatre experience to current and future audiences.
- Solidify and expand The Public Theatre’s role as a cultural cornerstone in Central Maine.
- Perform all other duties as necessary to remain operational, providing a superior experience to patrons.
Ideal candidates should possess the following qualifications, skills, and traits:
- 5+ year track record of success in roles with high levels of responsibility in non-proﬁt arts organizations
- Demonstrated leadership skills and capabilities
- An obvious love and knowledge of theater and the arts
- Strong ﬁnancial and staff management skills
- Ability and experience with strategic thinking and development
- Strong, clear and concise written and verbal communications skills
- Enthusiasm and skill for fundraising
- Client-facing experience
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Must be responsible and organized, with strong interpersonal skills
- A respect for tradition combined with a love for new ideas
- A desire to be a part of a small and dedicated team
- A strong interest in making a home both in the Lewiston Auburn area and at The Public Theatre
- A driving ambition to always improve upon past successes and learn from failures to make smart course corrections
- A joyful heart and great sense of humor, someone who easily celebrates a team’s success
- Decisiveness born out of a talent for listening to others with a desire to make well-informed choices
- A determined and excellent self-starter
- A desire and willingness to learn
- An excellent and passionate collaborator
To apply, please send a cover letter highlighting experience and interest as well as a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org